MERCHANT TERMS & CONDITIONS AGREEMENT
Effective date 05/16/2017
These Merchant Terms and Conditions (the “Agreement”) govern and are incorporated into the Spendit.com Merchant Agreement between Spendit.com and Merchant (collectively, the “Agreement”). Spendit.com, subject to the provisions of this paragraph, may amend the Agreement in its sole discretion and at any time. The most recent version of the Terms and Conditions (as may be amended by Spendit.com from time to time) will be available: (i) at the Spendit.com Merchant Dashboard, and/or (ii) as part of the Spendit.com Merchant Newsletter. Merchant agrees that either or both of these notification methods constitute adequate notice to inform Merchant of any amendments to the Agreement and Merchant further agrees to be bound by any such amendments to the Agreement upon such notification.
“TICKETS” refers to Spendit.com ScoreCode tickets or codes used in redeeming online transactions at Spendit.com for purchased goods and services located at participating Merchants.
“MERCHANT OFFERING” means the goods and/or services to be provided by the Merchant, stated on the Ticket as presented by Spendit.com. Values determined by Merchant.
“MAXIMUM NUMBER OF TICKETS” means the maximum number of Tickets Spendit.com is authorized to administer the sale of on behalf of the Merchant.
“MONTHLY MAXIMUM NUMBER OF TICKETS” means the maximum number of Tickets Spendit.com is authorized to administer the sale of on behalf of Merchant each month after the Maximum Number of Tickets has been sold.
“FULL OFFER VALUE” means the Amount Paid plus the Promotional Value.
“AMOUNT PAID” means the amount a purchaser pays for each Ticket.
“PROMOTIONAL VALUE” means the Full Offer Value less the Amount Paid.
“PROMOTIONAL VALUE EXPIRATION DATE” means the date stated on the Ticket when the Promotional Value expires.
“REMITTANCE AMOUNT” means the amount Spendit.com shall remit to Merchant for each Ticket, subject to the payment terms.
“FINE PRINT” means the conditions and restrictions concerning Ticket redemption and the Merchant Offering stated on the Website and Ticket.
- Spendit.com ScoreCode Ticket Program (“Ticket”)
- Spendit.com is authorized to promote and sell Tickets on Merchant’s behalf through any platform, including its online and offline promotions, affiliates, business partner network, marketplace, or referral network. The Tickets may be offered to all or part of the Spendit.com subscriber base or its affiliate subscriber base or referral network and segmented by various variables including gender, age, location, and consumer preferences. The features may be offered through a variety of distribution channels, including, the Internet, the Website, affiliate websites, business partner network, email, mobile applications, other types of electronic offerings and other platforms or distribution channels owned, controlled, or operated by Spendit.com, its affiliates or business partners.
- For appointment based Merchant Offerings, Spendit.com may require that Merchant provide Spendit.com with a calendar of available appointment times and allow Spendit.com purchasers to schedule appointments with the Merchant through Spendit.com and any third party service Spendit.com may use. Spendit.com may audit Merchant response times using various methods, including but not limited to, auto-dialers, call forwarding and pre-recorded calls. If Spendit.com, in its sole discretion, determines Merchant response times or the quality of service provided to purchasers is unsatisfactory, Spendit.com may terminate the Agreement and return the Amount Paid to purchasers for unredeemed Tickets.
- Spendit.com is authorized to promote and sell up to the Maximum Number of Tickets in multiple markets and on dates in its discretion. If Merchant elects to offer recurring month-to-month features, then Spendit.com will promote and sell up to the Maximum Number of Tickets for the initial feature, then promote and sell up to the Monthly Maximum Number of Tickets for subsequent features. Merchant shall specify the Maximum Number of Tickets and, if applicable, specify the Monthly Maximum Number of Tickets, and may increase either number in its discretion.
- Spendit.com reserves the continuing right to reject, revise, or discontinue any Merchant Offering, at any time and for any reason in Spendit.com’s sole discretion, and to terminate the Merchant Offering and to remove all references to the Merchant Offering and Voucher from the Website; and redirect or delete any URL used in connection with the Merchant Offering.
- Merchant shall honour the Tickets for the Merchant Offering through the Promotional Value Expiration Date. After the Promotional Value Expiration Date, MERCHANT AGREES TO REDEEM THE TICKET FOR THE AMOUNT PAID INDEFINITELY.
- After the Promotional Value Expiration Date, Merchant must always allow the purchaser to redeem the Ticket for the Amount Paid toward the Merchant Offering. If the goods and services constituting the Merchant Offering and stated on the Ticket are no longer available, the Merchant must always allow the purchaser to redeem the Ticket toward any goods or services then offered by the Merchant equivalent to at least the Amount Paid.
- Partial redemptions: If applicable, and if a purchaser redeems a Ticket for less than the Amount Paid, the Merchant is responsible for handling any unredeemed value as required by applicable law.
- Merchant agrees that in providing the Merchant Offering, Merchant will not inflate prices or impose any additional fees, charges, conditions or restrictions that contradict or are inconsistent with the terms stated on the Ticket, including the Fine Print. Unless disclosed in the Fine Print, Merchant further agrees not to impose different terms or a different cancellation policy than what is imposed on its non-Spendit.com customers.
- Merchant agrees that so long as an appointment or reservation is made to redeem a Ticket, or purchaser has made an attempt to make an appointment, before the Ticket’s Promotional Value Expiration Date, the Ticket will be honoured for the Full Offer Value without restriction, even though the services may be provided after the Promotional Value Expiration Date.
- In the event a purchaser seeks to schedule use of a Ticket prior to the Promotional Value Expiration Date and is denied by Merchant, or is unable to use the Ticket for any other reason prior to the Promotional Value Expiration Date, Spendit.com may, upon purchaser request, extend the Promotional Value Expiration Date by sixty (60) days.
- Merchant is responsible for all purchaser service in connection with the Merchant Offering and for supplying all goods and services stated in the Merchant Offering. Merchant is also responsible for any purchaser loyalty programs associated with the Merchant Offering.
- If applicable, Merchant will hold the Merchant Offering for pick-up by each purchaser at the Redemption Site. The “Redemption Site” is the complete and accurate address provided by Merchant to Spendit.com where purchasers are able to redeem the Ticket to pick-up the Merchant Offering. Merchant also agrees to provide Spendit.com with the hours and dates of operation, complete with any exceptions, and a valid phone number for the Redemption Site. If any of the information related to a Redemption Site changes, Merchant agrees to notify Spendit.com immediately of such change.
- Merchant agrees to accept returns of the Merchant Offering in compliance with applicable laws and the Fine Print, but in any event: (i) will accept returns of a defective Merchant Offering or nonconforming items in or a part of any Merchant Offering at all times and pay (or reimburse a purchaser for) any and all costs associated with the return of such Merchant Offering; and (ii) will not impose a more restrictive return policy on purchasers than Merchant’s regular return policy as applied to Merchant’s purchaser in the ordinary course of Merchant’s business.
- Amounts retained by Spendit.com from the proceeds of the Merchant Offering are compensation to Spendit.com for marketing, promoting, and advertising the Merchant Offering and distributing the Vouchers on behalf of Merchant. Merchant shall retain the Remittance Amount in trust for the benefit of purchasers holding unredeemed Tickets until Merchant delivers the Merchant Offering, refunds the holder of any unredeemed Tickets or escheats the amount required to a taxing authority, if applicable. The funds held in trust shall be returned to Spendit.com upon demand for refunds to purchasers. Spendit.com is authorized to review Merchant’s credit history, which may include a soft credit check.
- Spendit.com is authorized to initiate ACH credit transaction entries to Merchant’s depository account at the depository financial institution named in this Agreement or as otherwise provided to Spendit.com by Merchant in writing (“Merchant Bank Account”). Only in the event of an error, Spendit.com is authorized to initiate debit entry adjustments to the Merchant Bank Account to correct any error. Merchant hereby acknowledges that Spendit.com’s origination of all ACH transactions to Merchant Bank Account must comply with provisions of Canadian law. ACH payments take up to five (5) business days to become available in the Merchant Bank Account after processing.
- Merchant will not attempt to bill or collect reimbursement from any third-party payor, including but not limited to any insurer, health insurance plan, Medicare, Medicaid, or any other federal, state, provincial, territorial or local governmental program or entity (“Third-Party Payor”), for any of Merchant’s services. Merchant will accept the amounts received from Spendit.com as payment in full for all services provided by Merchant delivered pursuant to the Merchant Offering. Merchant is solely responsible for complying with any contractual requirements imposed by its contracts with Third-Party Payors, including but not limited to requirements related to offering discounted services.
- Tax Levy. In the event Spendit.com receives written notice of a validly issued provincial or federal tax levy relating to past-due taxes owed by Merchant, Spendit.com may, in accordance with applicable Canadian law, deduct any such amounts from payments due to Merchant.
- Taxes Generally. It is Merchant’s responsibility to determine what, if any, taxes apply to the payments Merchant makes or receives, and it is Merchant’s responsibility to collect, report and remit the correct tax to the appropriate tax authority. Spendit.com is not responsible for determining whether taxes apply to Merchant’s transaction with either purchasers or Spendit.com, or for collecting, reporting or remitting any taxes arising from any transaction with or by Merchant and purchaser. Merchant may be asked to provide Spendit.com with a valid CRA Tax Identification Number for tax reporting purposes. Notwithstanding anything else in this Agreement, Merchant shall be, and will remain, registered for sales, use and other similar tax collection purposes in all states and localities in which Merchant is required to be so registered in connection with the Merchant Offering and pursuant to the terms and redemption of the Ticket, and shall be responsible for paying any and all sales, use or any other taxes related to the Merchant Offering or the goods and services.
- Transaction Taxes. Merchant bears sole financial responsibility for any and all sales, use, excise, general, GST, or other similar taxes, including any interest penalties and additions related thereto, imposed on or arising from the transactions contemplated by this Agreement between Spendit.com and Merchant (“Transaction Taxes”), if any. Spendit.com shall apply the applicable Transaction Tax to the amounts it retains and/or other fees remitted to Spendit.com pursuant this Agreement. Transaction Taxes are calculated using the Merchant’s billing address and will be included on invoices. Tax rates are subject to change. If applied, Transaction Taxes will be calculated at the time of each payment using the rates in effect under current law.
- Withholding Taxes. Spendit.com may be required by tax authorities to withhold taxes on behalf of Merchant. Spendit.com reserves the right to deduct any such taxes from amounts due to Merchant and to remit them to the appropriate tax authority. Spendit.com may also be required to report the withholding tax payments to the tax authorities. Spendit.com shall provide evidence of payment of withholding taxes to Merchant no later than 60 days after payment of the withholding taxes.
- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, Spendit.com will have no obligation to advance amounts that have been paid to Spendit.com by a purchaser until Merchant has complied with Merchant’s obligations under this Agreement. If Spendit.com reasonably believes that Merchant has breached any provision of this Agreement, Spendit.com may offset, delay, withhold, or suspend future payments to Merchant, at the sole discretion of Spendit.com. In addition, if Merchant is unwilling to, or in the reasonable discretion of Spendit.com appears unable to, perform its obligations under this Agreement, Spendit.com is authorized to offset, delay, withhold, or suspend future payments to Merchant in addition to such other remedies as may be available under this Agreement or at law, to secure payment from Merchant for any refunds and/or other amounts payable by Merchant under this Agreement.
- Customer Data Restrictions
- “Customer Data” means all identifiable information about purchasers generated or collected by Spendit.com or Merchant, including, but not limited to, purchasers’ name, shipping addresses, email addresses, phone numbers, purchaser preferences and tendencies, and financial transaction data.
- Merchant shall immediately notify Spendit.com if Merchant becomes aware of or suspects any unauthorized access to or use of Customer Data or any confidential information of Spendit.com, and shall cooperate with Spendit.com in the investigation of such breach and the mitigation of any damages. Merchant will bear all associated expenses incurred by Spendit.com to comply with applicable laws (including, but not limited to, any data breach laws) or arising from any unauthorized access or acquisition of Customer Data while such data is in Merchant’s reasonable possession or control. Upon termination or expiration of this Agreement, Merchant shall, as directed by Spendit.com, destroy or return to Spendit.com all the Customer Data in Merchant’s or any agent of Merchant’s possession.
- Promotional Programs: In an effort to increase Ticket sales, Merchant authorizes Spendit.com, at any time and at the sole discretion of Spendit.com, to increase or decrease the Amount Paid for the Merchant Offering (any such effort, “Promotional Program(s)”). For each ticket sold as part of a Promotional Program, the Net Remittance Amount will be adjusted in an amount equal to the percentage increase or decrease in the Amount Paid (“Promotional Adjustment”), provided that, any decrease of the Net Remittance Amount will not exceed ten percent (10%) of the Net Remittance Amount. Promotional Programs include the following:
- Promotional Codes – A “Promotional Code” is a code that purchasers may use, at the sole discretion of Spendit.com, to receive a discount on the Amount Paid for a Merchant Offering.
- Price Optimization – “Price Optimization” is any change (excluding Promotional Codes) to the Amount Paid for a Merchant Offering.
- Term and Termination: This Agreement will continue in effect until terminated by either party in accordance with this Section (“Term”). Spendit.com is authorized to terminate this Agreement, at any time for any reason, upon written notice to Merchant. Merchant is authorized to terminate this Agreement upon seven (7) business days prior written notice to Spendit.com. Termination of this Agreement will not in any way affect Merchant’s obligation to redeem any Ticket according to the terms of this Agreement, including the obligation to honour the Ticket for the Amount Paid after the Promotional Value Expiration Date. Provisions in this Agreement that are intended to survive termination will continue in full force and effect after the Term.
- Marketing: Spendit.com and its business partners may communicate with Merchant with regard to products, promotions, and other services that may be of interest to Merchant. This may include email or other communications. Spendit.com may also solicit Merchant’s opinion for market research purposes.
- Intellectual Property Rights
- Merchant grants to Spendit.com a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free, paid-up, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable and sub-licensable license and right to use, modify, reproduce, sublicense, publicly display, distribute, broadcast, transmit, stream, publish and publicly perform: (a) Merchant’s name, logos, trademarks, service marks, domain names, and any audiovisual content, video recordings, audio recordings, photographs, graphics, artwork, text and any other content provided, specified, recommended, directed, authorized or approved to use by Merchant (collectively, “Merchant IP”); and (b) any third party’s name, logos, trademarks, service marks, domain names, audiovisual recordings, video recordings, audio recordings, photographs, graphics, artwork, text and any other content provided, specified, recommended, directed, authorized or approved for use by Merchant (collectively, “Third Party IP”), in each case in connection with the promotion and resale of the goods and services in all media or formats now known or hereinafter developed (“License”). Any use of the Merchant IP or Third Party IP as contemplated in this Agreement is within the sole discretion Spendit.com.
- Merchant acknowledges and agrees that, as between the parties, Spendit.com owns all interest in and to the Website, Customer Data, Spendit.com and ScoreCode trade names, logos, trademarks, service marks, domain names, social media identifiers, all data collected through or from the Website, all audiovisual content, video recordings, audio recordings, photographs, graphics, artwork, text or any other content created by Spendit.com or at the direction of Spendit.com, or assigned to Spendit.com, and any materials, software, technology or tools used or provided by Spendit.com to promote, resell or distribute the goods and services and conduct its business in connection therewith (collectively “Spendit.com IP”). Merchant shall not use, sell, rent, lease, sublicense, distribute, broadcast, transmit, stream, place shift, transfer, copy, reproduce, download, time shift, display, perform, modify or timeshare the Spendit.com IP or any portion thereof, or use such Spendit.com IP as a component of or a base for products or services prepared for commercial use, sale, sublicense, lease, access or distribution, except that Spendit.com grants Merchant a limited, non-exclusive, revocable, non-transferable, non-sub licensable license during the Term to use one copy of the Spendit.com mobile merchant software application on a single mobile computer, tablet computer, or other device, solely for the purposes permitted by that software, and to make one copy of the software for back-up purposes. Merchant shall keep the Spendit.com IP confidential, and shall not prepare any derivative work based on the Spendit.com IP or translate, reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the Spendit.com IP. Merchant shall not take any action to challenge or object to the validity of the Spendit.com rights in the Spendit.com IP or Spendit.com’s ownership or registration thereof. Except as specifically provided in this Agreement, Merchant and any third party assisting Merchant with its obligations in this Agreement, are not authorized to use Spendit.com IP in any medium without prior written approval from an authorized representative of Spendit.com. Merchant shall not include any trade name, trademark, service mark, domain name, social media identifier, of Spendit.com or its affiliates, or any variant or misspelling thereof, in any trademark, domain name, email address, social network identifier, metadata or search engine keyword. Merchant shall not use or display any Spendit.com IP in a manner that could reasonably imply an endorsement, relationship, affiliation with, or sponsorship between Merchant or a third party and Spendit.com. All rights to the Spendit.com IP not expressly granted in this Agreement are reserved by Spendit.com.
- If Merchant provides Spendit.com or any of its affiliates with feedback, suggestions, reviews, modifications, data, images, text, or other information or content about a Spendit.com product or service or otherwise in connection with this Agreement, any Spendit.com IP, or Merchant’s participation in the Merchant Offering or Ticket, (collectively, “Feedback”), Merchant irrevocably assigns to Spendit.com all right, title, and interest in and to Feedback. In the event your assignment to Spendit.com is invalid for any reason, you hereby irrevocably grant Spendit.com and its affiliates a perpetual, paid-up, royalty-free, nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, freely transferable right and license to (i) use, reproduce, perform, display, and distribute Feedback; (ii) adapt, modify, re-format, and create derivative works of Feedback for any purpose and sublicense the foregoing rights to any other person or entity. Merchant warrants that: (A) Feedback is Merchant’s original work, or Merchant obtained Feedback in a lawful manner; and (B) Spendit.com and its sublicensees’ exercise of rights under the license above will not violate any person’s or entity’s rights, including any copyright rights. Merchant agrees to provide Spendit.com such assistance as Spendit.com might require to document, perfect, or maintain Spendit.com’s rights in and to Feedback.
- Representations and Warranties: Merchant represents and warrants that: (a) Merchant has the right, power and authority to enter into this Agreement; (b) Merchant, if required by applicable law, is registered for sales and use tax collection purposes in all jurisdictions where Merchant’s goods and services will be provided; (c) the Ticket, upon being delivered by Spendit.com, will be available immediately for redemption and Merchant will have in stock until the Promotional Value Expiration Date, a number of units of the Merchant Offering sufficient to fulfill it’s redemption obligations; (d) the terms and conditions of the Ticket, including any discounts or goods and services offered thereunder do not and will not violate any, local, state, provincial, territorial or federal law, statute, rule, regulation, or order, including but not limited to, any law or regulation governing the use, sale, and distribution of alcohol and any laws governing tickets, vouchers, gift cards, coupons, and gift certificates; (e) the Merchant’s redemption of the Ticket will result in the bona fide provision of goods and/or services by Merchant to the purchaser; (f) Merchant owns all interest in and to the Merchant IP and has licensing rights in (with the right to sublicense to Spendit.com) the Third Party IP, and has the right to grant the License stated in this Agreement; (g) the Merchant IP and the Third Party IP, the Merchant Offering, Spendit.com’s use and promotion thereof, and the results of such Merchant Offerings, will not infringe, dilute, misappropriate, or otherwise violate, anywhere in the world, any patent, copyright, logo, trademark, service mark, trade name, rights in designs, or other intellectual property right or right of privacy or publicity of any third party or any applicable law, and does not and will not result from the misappropriation of any trade secret or the breach of any confidentiality obligations to any person or entity; (h) the Merchant IP and Third Party IP does not include any material that is unlawful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane or otherwise objectionable, or that encourages conduct that constitutes a criminal activity, gives rise to civil liability or otherwise violates any law; (i) the Tickets and any advertising or promotion of Merchant’s goods and services relating thereto will not constitute false, deceptive or unfair advertising or disparagement under any applicable law; (j) Merchant and its employees, contractors and agents have had the proper education and training and hold all required and up-to-date regulatory authorization, licenses and certifications relating to any Merchant Offering to provide the goods or services described in this Agreement; (k) Merchant’s business information and direct deposit details as provided in this Agreement, indicating where payments should be forwarded are accurate and Merchant is the authorized entity to receive the funds forwarded by Spendit.com; (l) Merchant is not authorized to resell, broker or otherwise disclose any Customer Data (as defined in this Agreement) to any third party, in whole or in part, for any purpose, and Merchant is not authorized to copy or otherwise reproduce any Customer Data other than for the purpose of redeeming or verifying the validity of Vouchers in connection with this Agreement and (m) the Merchant Offering is: (i) free from defects in workmanship, materials and design, (ii) merchantable and suitable for the purposes, if any, stated in the Agreement, and (iii) genuine, bona fide products, as described herein and does not violate the rights of any third party.
- Indemnification: To the extent allowed under applicable law, Merchant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold Spendit.com, its affiliated and related entities, and any of its respective officers, directors, agents and employees, harmless from and against any claims, lawsuits, investigations, penalties, damages, losses or expenses (including but not limited to reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs) arising out of or relating to any of the following: (a) any breach or alleged breach by Merchant of this Agreement, or the representations and warranties made in this Agreement; (b) any claim for state sales, use, or similar tax obligations of Merchant arising from the sale and redemption of a Ticket; (c) any claim by any local, state, provincial, territorial or federal governmental entity for unredeemed Tickets or unredeemed cash values of Tickets or any other amounts under any applicable abandoned or unclaimed property or escheat law, including but not limited to any claims for penalties and interest; (d) any claim arising out of a violation of any law or regulation by Merchant or governing Merchant’s goods and/or services; (e) any claim arising out of Merchant’s violation of law or regulation governing the use, sale, and distribution of alcohol; (f) any claim by a purchaser or anyone else arising out of or relating to the goods and services provided by Merchant and/or pick up of the goods and services at the Redemption Site, including but not limited to, any claims for false advertising, product defects, personal injury, death, or property damages; (g) any claim by a purchaser for the Amount Paid; (h) any claim arising out of Merchant’s misuse of Customer Data, or any violation of an applicable data privacy or security law. Spendit.com maintains the right to control its own defence and to choose and appoint its own defence counsel, regardless of the presence or absence of a conflict of interest between Spendit.com and Merchant; and (i) any claim arising out of Merchant’s negligence, fraud or willful misconduct. Merchant’s duty to defend and indemnify Spendit.com includes the duty to pay Spendit.com’s reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs, including any expert fees.
- Confidentiality: The terms for the Merchant Offering described in this Agreement are confidential, and Merchant agrees not to disclose the terms described in this Agreement to any party (other than to its employees, parent companies, shareholders, lawyers and accountants on a strict need-to-know basis or as required by applicable public records and other law, if Merchant has taken the necessary precautions of the kind generally taken with confidential information to preserve the confidentiality of the information made available to such parties). In the event of a breach, Spendit.com is entitled to injunctive relief and a decree for specific performance, and any other relief allowed under applicable law (including monetary damages if appropriate).
- Limitation of Liability: EXCEPT FOR MERCHANT’S INDEMNIFICATION OBLIGATIONS HEREUNDER, IN NO EVENT IS EITHER PARTY LIABLE OR OBLIGATED TO THE OTHER PARTY OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY LOST PROFITS, LOST BUSINESS, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, EXEMPLARY, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE, OR INDIRECT DAMAGES REGARDLESS OF THE FORM OF ACTION, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF ANY SUCH DAMAGES IN ADVANCE. SPENDIT.COM’S SOLE AND COMPLETE LIABILITY TO MERCHANT FOR ANY CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT, OR ANY ERRORS, OMISSIONS OR MISPLACEMENTS OF ANY TICKET IS LIMITED TO THE AMOUNT OF FEES RETAINED BY SPENDIT.COM HEREUNDER FOR THE PRECEDING SIX(6) MONTHS AFTER FINAL CALCULATION AND RECONCILIATION OF ALL REFUNDS. THIS LIMITATION OF LIABILITY APPLIES TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW AND NOTWITHSTANDING THE FAILURE OF ANY LIMITED REMEDY. IN ADDITION, ANY CLAIM BY OR ON BEHALF OF A MERCHANT IN CONNECTION WITH ANY PAYMENT MADE BY SPENDIT.COM, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, CLAIMS ALLEGING THAT A MERCHANT WAS UNDERPAID, MUST BE MADE IN WRITING TO SPENDIT.COM WITHIN NINETY (90) DAYS FROM THE DATE SPENDIT.COM REMITS THE PAYMENT AT ISSUE. ALL CLAIMS NOT MADE IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE FOREGOING SHALL BE DEEMED WAIVED, RELEASED AND DISCHARGED BY MERCHANT.
- Dispute ResolutionAll disputes arising out of, or relating in any way to this Agreement, shall be resolved pursuant to this Section 14 Dispute Resolution.
- Binding ArbitrationEXCEPT AS SPECIFICALLY STATED HEREIN, ANY DISPUTE OR CLAIM BETWEEN MERCHANT AND SPENDIT.COM ARISING OUT OF, OR RELATING IN ANY WAY TO, THIS AGREEMENT (“DISPUTES“) SHALL BE RESOLVED EXCLUSIVELY BY FINAL, BINDING ARBITRATION. BY VIRTUE OF THE AGREEMENT IN THIS SECTION 14 TO ARBITRATE, MERCHANT AND SPENDIT.COM ARE EACH GIVING UP THE RIGHT TO GO TO COURT AND HAVE A DISPUTE HEARD BY A JUDGE OR JURY (EXCEPT AS OTHERWISE SET FORTH IN THIS SECTION 14). The provisions of this Section 14 shall constitute Merchant’s and Spendit.com’s written agreement to arbitrate Disputes under the Federal Arbitration Act. The arbitration will be administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) and conducted before a single arbitrator pursuant to its applicable rules, including those applicable to Commercial Disputes, available at http://www.adr.org or by calling 800-778-7879. The arbitrator will apply and be bound by this Agreement, apply applicable law and the facts, and issue a reasoned award.To begin an arbitration proceeding, Merchant or Groupon must comply with the limitations provision set forth in Section 13 and submit the Dispute by making a demand for arbitration as detailed at http://www.adr.org. If Merchant demands arbitration, it shall simultaneously send a copy of the completed demand to the following address: C T Corporation System, 208 S. LaSalle Street, Suite 814, Chicago, IL 60604. If Groupon demands arbitration, it shall simultaneously send a copy of the completed demand to the Merchant’s address of record. Payment of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees will be governed by the AAA’s rules. Groupon will reimburse those fees for Disputes totaling less than $10,000 if Merchant is the prevailing party in such arbitration. Groupon will not seek attorneys’ fees and costs in arbitration unless the arbitrator determines that a Merchant Dispute is frivolous. The arbitration will be conducted based upon written submissions unless Merchant requests and/or the arbitrator determines that a telephone or in-person hearing is necessary. If the arbitrator grants the request or determines an in-person hearing is necessary, the hearing will proceed in Chicago, Illinois, unless the arbitrator determines or we agree that the matter should proceed in the county of Merchant’s principal place of business.
- Class Action WaiverWE EACH AGREE THAT WE SHALL BRING ANY DISPUTE AGAINST THE OTHER IN OUR RESPECTIVE INDIVIDUAL CAPACITIES AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS, REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING OR AS AN ASSOCIATION. IN ADDITION, WE EACH AGREE THAT DISPUTES SHALL BE ARBITRATED ONLY ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT IN A CLASS, CONSOLIDATED OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION. THE ARBITRATOR DOES NOT HAVE THE POWER TO VARY THESE PROVISIONS.
- Choice of Law/No Jury TrialIf for any reason a Dispute proceeds in court: (i) Merchant and Groupon agree that any such Dispute may only be instituted in a state or federal court in Cook County, Illinois; (ii) Merchant and Groupon irrevocably consent and submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of such courts for resolution of such Disputes; (iii) Merchant and Groupon agree that the Federal Arbitration Act, the AAA rules, applicable federal law and the laws of the State of Illinois, without regard to principles of conflicts of law, will govern this Agreement and any Disputes; and (iv) MERCHANT AND GROUPON AGREE TO WAIVE ANY RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY.
- Injunctive Relief/Attorneys’ Fees Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, either party may bring suit in court seeking an injunction or other equitable relief arising out of or relating to claims that the other party’s conduct may cause the other irreparable injury.In the event Groupon is the prevailing party in any Dispute, subject to any exceptions in this Section 14, Merchant shall pay to Groupon all reasonable attorneys’ fees and costs incurred by Groupon in connection with any Dispute.
- The parties are independent contractors. Nothing in this Agreement is to be construed to create a joint venture, partnership, franchise, or an agency relationship between the parties. Neither party has the authority, without the other party’s prior written approval, to bind or commit the other in any way.
- This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between the parties relating to its subject matter and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous oral or written agreements concerning such subject matter.
- Merchant is not authorized to transfer or assign its rights or obligations under this Agreement, whether by operation of law or otherwise, without Spendit.com’s prior written consent. Any waiver must be in writing and signed by an authorized signatory of Spendit.com. Spendit.com is authorized to transfer or assign this Agreement to a present or future affiliate or pursuant to a merger, consolidation, reorganization or sale of all or substantially all of the assets or business, or by operation of law, without notice to Merchant.
- If any provision of this Agreement should be held to be invalid or unenforceable, the validity and enforceability of the remaining provisions of this Agreement are not affected.
- EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY STATED IN THIS AGREEMENT, NEITHER PARTY MAKES ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS NOR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SPENDIT.COM DOES NOT WARRANT OR GUARANTEE THAT THE SERVICES OFFERED ON OR THROUGH THE WEBSITE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THAT THE TICKETS ARE ERROR-FREE, OR THAT ANY MERCHANT OFFERING WILL RESULT IN ANY REVENUE OR PROFIT FOR MERCHANT.